Products that have achieved GREENGUARD Certification are scientifically proven to meet some of the world’s most rigorous third-party chemical emissions standards, helping to reduce indoor air pollution and the risk of chemical exposure.
Children's Health and Indoor Air Quality
Children are more susceptible to pollutants than adults because they are still growing and breathe in proportionately more air. This means indoor pollutants, such as certain chemicals, particles and allergens, can cause more severe health effects in children.
- Children breathe in a greater volume of air than adults relative to their body size.
- Children's organs and respiratory, immune and neurological systems are still developing.
- Children are much closer to the ground, and as a result, breathe in more of the heavier airborne chemicals than do adults.
- Infants and young children breathe through their mouths, more so than do adults, which increases their risk of pulmonary exposure to particulates and fibers, that would otherwise be filtered out in the nose.
- Children have a higher heart rate than adults, which allows substances that are absorbed into the blood to permeate tissues faster.
Nurture The Air They Breathe with GreenGard Certified Products
By using products bearing the GREENGUARD Children & Schools or GREENGUARD Gold Certification mark, parents, teachers and school officials can rest easy knowing these products have been independently tested and verified to meet strict emission levels of pollutants, such as
- volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
GREENGUARD Certified products include baby cribs, mattresses, dressers, carseats, countertops, paints and adhesives, insulation and wood flooring.